Canola harvest results
Sept 24, 2015. Harvest results are quite obviously a key component for decisions on seed selection for the following year. Yields are a large part of the results, but grades and other observations weigh in heavily as well. With over 200 trials and demos, the Proven Performance Trials are the largest retail demonstration program in Western Canada and they happen where it counts – on large scale, producer-managed farms. Canola harvest was delayed by rain, but the results have been gratifying for the CPS teams that work with the producers.
Jennifer Melynchenko, CPS Manager of Agronomic Services for eastern Saskatchewan worked closely with a cooperator on a canola trial in Waldron, SK.
“The producer was hoping that the canola would do at least 40 bushels per acre,” says Melynchenko. “The results have been a happy conclusion for all parties.”
Proven Seed canola hybrids PV 530 G, PV 533 G and VR 9562 GC all yielded within a bushel of each other at roughly 50 bushels per acre. The competitive variety in the same trial yielded 45 bushels per acre. The Waldron producer commented that he liked having side by side comparisons on his farm to see firsthand how each variety does. While he currently grows VR 9562 GC he says he now has the confidence to try other Proven Seed hybrids that may have better fits for disease resistance or maturity.
View More Proven Weekly Posts
- September 29, 2016Building trust is the heart of the Proven Performance Trials ›
- June 29, 20162016 Proven Performance Trials ›
- November 23, 2015Proven Performance Trials summary ›
- October 1, 2015Harvest wrap-up ›
- September 24, 2015Canola harvest results ›
- September 17, 2015CWRS, CDC Titanium & 5605HR CL ›
- September 10, 2015Corn, silage ›
- September 3, 2015CWRS, CDC Titanium ›
- August 27, 2015Canola, PV 530 G, PV 531 G, PV 533 G ›
- August 20, 2015Soybeans, NSC Reston RR2Y ›